Monday, January 19, 2015

American Sniper hits the target

    Over the years I’ve done all kinds of writing on topics ranging from school board meetings to midget wrestling, but I just realized I’ve never written a movie review. So, I’m going to take a shot at it, with American Sniper.

I grew up watching war movies with my dad, a Vietnam War veteran and movie buff…or maybe movie addict is more accurate. From classics like Sergeant  York and The Bridge on the River Kwai to more contemporary movies like Memphis Belle, our basement often sounded like a battlefield when Dad was watching TV.

So blood, guts and gore doesn’t generally get to me. However, American Sniper hit me differently. It offers a glimpse of what’s going on inside a soldier’s heart and mind.

 Here’s a brief summary: American Sniper is based on the true story of a Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle's sharp shooting accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and turns him into a living legend. Back home in Texas with his wife and kids after four tours of duty, however, Chris finds that he can’t get the war out of his head.

Chris is played by Bradly Cooper….who I have to confess I typically associate with The Hangover movies or some romantic comedy….but this role gives him the opportunity to be a real actor telling a meaningful tale. Cooper’s efforts have earned him an Oscar Nomination for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role and the film also earned a Best Picture nom.


Check out more about American Sniper and find local show times here: http://www.fandango.com/americansniper_177733/movieoverview

           Have you seen American Sniper?  What did you think?  Please tell me your thoughts in the comment section

No comments:

Post a Comment